• History

    A Letter from Dolly Doctor

    by  • 28 January 2012 • Artefacts, History • 0 Comments

    A short letter from Dolly Doctor to another great Uig historian, Murdo Macleod (Murchadh Chaluim Sheoras, Crowlista and Glasgow), about the old Stornoway Castle and DD’s activities with the Old Folks Association and his Folk Museum.

    Read more →

    Congested Bulls

    by  • 20 January 2012 • Crofting, History, Land Issues • 0 Comments

    One of the popular schemes of the Congested Districts Board (1898-1912) was the provision of bulls, rams and stallions, on loan, to crofting parishes where the stock was in need of improvement. Uig did particularly well on the bulls, it seems.

    Read more →

    Bus ‘ain Uisdein

    by  • 14 February 2010 • History • 0 Comments

    [singlepic=1075,358] John Mackay (Iain Uisdean, b1870) 1 Carishader in his bus, with (left to right) his son Angus and Farquhar (Fearchar ‘a Chomhnard) and Caluman Macdonald, 12 Carishader.

    Read more →

    Upright in Uig

    by  • 17 January 2010 • Church, History • 0 Comments

    Rev Alexander Macleod arrived in Uig 1824 and evidently had a powerful influence on his congregation.  In the first years of his ministry a number of stories arose demonstrating the […]

    Read more →