• Breanish

    The Old Lewis House: A View from 1902

    by  • 17 February 2012 • 2 Comments

    The Report on the Social Conditions of the People of Lewis (1902) by the Crofters Commission gives a detailed account of the traditional Lewis blackhouse, which agitated the minds of reformers from Sir James Matheson onward, and the measures taken from about 1880 to improve it, particularly with regard to sanitation.

    Read more →

    A Letter from Dolly Doctor

    by  • 28 January 2012 • 0 Comments

    A Letter from Dolly Doctor

    A short letter from Dolly Doctor to another great Uig historian, Murdo Macleod (Murchadh Chaluim Sheoras, Crowlista and Glasgow), about the old Stornoway Castle and DD’s activities with the Old Folks Association and his Folk Museum.

    Read more →

    Suileachan: the Reef Monument

    by  • 26 January 2012 • 1 Comment

    sketch crop

    Work is underway in Reef on a new commemorative landmark commissioned by the Bhaltos Community Trust to mark the impact of land reform in Uig and throughout the island. The monument has been designed by Will Maclean and Marion Leven, who also created those at Pairc, Aignish and Gress.

    Read more →

    FilmG 2012: The Uig Collection

    by  • 24 January 2012 • 2 Comments

    FilmG copy

    This year’s entries to the FilmG Gaelic Shorts competition include (as usual) several with Uig connections, including an atmospheric look around the Established Church at Baile na Cille, just prior to its imminent renovation.

    Read more →

    A Comment on Pew Graffiti

    by  • 23 January 2012 • 0 Comments


    We’ve been recording the abundant pew graffiti in Baile na Cille church – it’s a common phenomenon, evidently. Here are some thoughts on the motivation behind the scratching.

    Read more →

    Congested Bulls

    by  • 20 January 2012 • 0 Comments

    The Valtos Bull

    One of the popular schemes of the Congested Districts Board (1898-1912) was the provision of bulls, rams and stallions, on loan, to crofting parishes where the stock was in need of improvement. Uig did particularly well on the bulls, it seems.

    Read more →

    Old Mangersta

    by  • 13 January 2012 • 3 Comments

    mangersta crop

    Mangersta, like most occupied townships in Lewis, was relotted in 1849, with 15 crofts laid out and tenancies and rents allocated. Here we give the full tenant list for 1849-50, with tenancy and family changes up to the (voluntary) clearing of the village in 1872, when the people went mostly to Doune Carloway.

    Read more →

    Spring Cleaning in 1851

    by  • 9 January 2012 • 0 Comments

    Ruins at Carnish

    The late 1840s were years of desperation in Lewis (as elsewhere), with much of the population near to starvation and dependent on ‘destitution meal’ from the Proprietor. The solution that presented itself was assisted and effectively compulsory emigration; here are the numbers fixed on for emigration from Uig in 1851.

    Read more →

    A Late Hogmanay

    by  • 9 January 2012 • 1 Comment

    This recent Hogmanay fell on a Sunday, so the fireworks in Stornoway finished at 11pm on New Year’s Eve, and most celebrations were delayed to the Monday. Forty years ago, the same applied.

    Read more →

    Twitchers of 1865

    by  • 28 December 2011 • 0 Comments


    From the Royal Edinburgh Society, an account of birds observed or discussed by Professor Duns during a visit to Lewis in 1865, when birding was largely about shooting. Includes a comprehensive species list and a theory on why house-sparrows dislike blackhouses.

    Read more →

    Cait’ a’ bheil seo?

    by  • 19 September 2011 • 7 Comments

    Unknown Blackhouse

    This photo of a lovely blackhouse was taken by DJ Maclean, who was headmaster at Valtos School. It is obviously somewhere in Lewis, though not necessarily in Uig and we certainly can’t place it.

    Read more →

    Long Sermons and Sharp Pen-Knives, and Baile na Cille Notes

    by  • 9 September 2011 • 0 Comments


    Baile na Cille Church is in private ownership now and renovation work will start fairly soon, but with the public opening as part of Doors Open Days we’ve had an opportunity to explore the building in some detail. One of the most personal touches is the large variety of names and initials carved on the pews by (mostly) boys.

    Read more →

    Rev MacFarlane’s 25th Anniversary

    by  • 5 September 2011 • 0 Comments

    BnC Elders sm

    A fine photo of Baile na Cille kirk session. Taken in 1976 at the 25th Anniversary presentation for Rev Angus Macfarlane, Baile na Cille. Rev Macfarlane retired in 1979, at which point the congregation merged with that of the Miavaig church.

    Read more →

    The Chessmen: Home for a Day

    by  • 5 September 2011 • 0 Comments


    Six Lewis Chessmen from the collections of National Museums Scotland and the British Museum are to go on display for a short time at Uig Museum on Tuesday 13 September. All welcome, admission free.

    Read more →

    The State of Weaving in 1900

    by  • 25 August 2011 • 1 Comment


    The Congested Districts Board established a Lewis committee, and this is their 1900 report on the state of, and proposed improvements to, the tweed industry. Note a couple of references to Uig, which was obviously considered particularly ‘deserving’.

    Read more →