• Posts Tagged ‘islivig’

    Old Mangersta

    by  • 13 January 2012 • Crofting, Genealogy, Land Issues • 2 Comments

    Mangersta, like most occupied townships in Lewis, was relotted in 1849, with 15 crofts laid out and tenancies and rents allocated. Here we give the full tenant list for 1849-50, with tenancy and family changes up to the (voluntary) clearing of the village in 1872, when the people went mostly to Doune Carloway.

    Read more →

    Spring Cleaning in 1851

    by  • 9 January 2012 • Emigration, Land Issues • 0 Comments

    The late 1840s were years of desperation in Lewis (as elsewhere), with much of the population near to starvation and dependent on ‘destitution meal’ from the Proprietor. The solution that presented itself was assisted and effectively compulsory emigration; here are the numbers fixed on for emigration from Uig in 1851.

    Read more →

    Civilised Children in 1874

    by  • 16 July 2009 • Church, Education • 0 Comments

    From Lewsiana (1874, 1886) by W Anderson Smith.  The school referred to seems to be the old blackhouse school in Islivig, which was replaced in the 1880s by the new public school at the north end of Brenish – but Smith’s passage seems to come from the earlier edition of the book. A mile or […]

    Read more →

    The Centenerian

    by  • 23 May 2009 • History, People • 0 Comments

    From the Inverness Courier of 25 March 1846: A correspondent has favoured us with some further particulars relative to the late patriarchal Celt, John Martin, who died at Urgay [Urgha], Island of Harris, at the ripe age of 112. The old man was able to walk about till within twenty-four hours of his death.  When […]

    Read more →

    The Uig POs and their Postmarks

    by  • 15 May 2009 • History, Life in Uig • 0 Comments

    From Islands Postal History Series, No 3: Lewis, by James A Mackay.  Published by the author, 1978. Miavaig The Gaelic name Miabhaig is derived from an earlier Norse name whose vik ending signified a bay – in this case one of the many inlets of West Loch Roag on the west coast of Lewis. A […]

    Read more →

    Interned at Groningen in 1914

    by  • 30 October 2008 • History, Military & Police, WWI • 12 Comments

    This unidentified sailor with the Naval Division is believed to be one of those interned in Holland in 1914.  The picture was taken at Groningen, and comes to us from 10 Mangersta.  Is he one of the Uigeachs listed below who spent the war in “HMS Timbertown”?  The following was written by Dave Roberts for […]

    Read more →

    The One Night Shieling

    by  • 7 September 2008 • Tales & Traditions • 0 Comments

    From an article in Uig News by Dave Roberts. It appears that shielings were constructed so that one airigh could easily be seen from another, but it is said that very often the girls from a number of shielings would sleep in one building for company. The ancient shieling grounds for Brenish, Islivig and Mangersta were […]

    Read more →

    Supplies for Islivig School

    by  • 3 September 2008 • Education, History • 0 Comments

    From the Islivig School log, kept by the teacher Angus Macdonald, who took up his post on 13 May 1903.  The Comann Eachdraidh would very much like to acquire or borrow some schoolbooks of this vintage, in any condition.  If you have some in your loft please let us know. 3 August, 1903 The following […]

    Read more →

    The Hattersley Loom

    by  • 29 August 2008 • Archive photos, History, Life in Uig, Wool & Weaving • 3 Comments

    Dol’ol at the loom (photo by John Blair).  From an article for Uig News by Dave Roberts: After the First World War there were ex-servicemen who had lost a hand, and one of the reasons for introducing the Hattersley domestic semi-automatic treadle powered loom to the island, was to give them an opportunity to make […]

    Read more →

    Early Weaving in Uig

    by  • 23 August 2008 • Life in Uig, Wool & Weaving • 0 Comments

    From an article for Uig News by Dave Roberts: The Harris Tweed industry, according to the traditional story, is said to have begun in the mid-19th century. The two Macleod sisters, originally from Pabbay in the Sound of Harris, were living in a blackhouse in Strond and producing tweeds on their looms. The story is […]

    Read more →

    Mangersta School 1953

    by  • 9 August 2008 • Archive photos • 0 Comments

    Definitely 1953 as there is the coronation crest on the mount. Teacher: Babag Smith Carishader Back: 1. Kenny Dan Morrison 12 Ardroil 2. Catherine Macdonald 3 Ardroil 3. Neil Morrison 28 Brenish 4. Chrissie Mary Matheson 5 Ardroil 5. Angus Murdo Montgomery Islivig (Monty) Front: 6. Kathleen Morrison Mangersta 7. Lena Matheson 6 Ardroil 8. Cathie […]

    Read more →

    Mangersta School 1952?

    by  • 7 August 2008 • Archive photos • 2 Comments

    All identified now, thanks to Dolly. Teacher Babag Smith, Carishader Back: 1. Neil Morrison Brenish 2. Dolly Norma Morrison 12 Ardroil 3. Kathleen Morrison Mangersta 4. Chrissie M Matheson Ardroil 5. Catherine Macdonald 3 Ardroil 6. Nan Matheson Ardroil 7. Angus M Montgomery Islivig (Monty) Front: 8. DJ Montgomery Islivig 9. Flora Shaw Carnish 10. Lena Matheson Ardroil 11. […]

    Read more →

    Meeting at Islivig School, 1908

    by  • 19 July 2008 • History, Land Issues • 0 Comments

    From Joni Buchanan’s The Lewis Land Struggle (Acair 1996): On Christmas Day 1908, 46 crofters and squatters met at the schoolhouse in Brenish (known as Islivig School) and passed eight resolutions demanding the breakup of Mangersta and Carnish farms:  “So that without leaving the locality where they were born and where all associations and kinships that […]

    Read more →

    More about Angus Beag

    by  • 18 July 2008 • Genealogy, History • 1 Comment

    Rev William Matheson, Mac Gille Chaluim, gives the following about Angus Beag and his departure for Auldearn, which seems to have been precipitated by the harsh words of his wife who accused him of unmanliness (see also the previous note.) Angus Macaulay’s conduct before the departure of the men of Lewis to Auldean in the Spring of 1645 […]

    Read more →