• Posts Tagged ‘enaclete’

    Spring Cleaning in 1851

    by  • 9 January 2012 • Emigration, Land Issues • 0 Comments

    Ruins at Carnish

    The late 1840s were years of desperation in Lewis (as elsewhere), with much of the population near to starvation and dependent on ‘destitution meal’ from the Proprietor. The solution that presented itself was assisted and effectively compulsory emigration; here are the numbers fixed on for emigration from Uig in 1851.

    Read more →

    Spring Cleaning in 1851

    by  • 9 January 2012 •  • 2 Comments

    The late 1840s were years of desperation in Lewis (as elsewhere), with much of the population near to starvation and dependent on ‘destitution meal’ from the Proprietor, Sir James Matheson, who according to the Poor Law Act of 1845 was obliged to do something about his famished tenants. Weakened, overcrowded and in many cases without [...]

    Read more →

    Loch Roag Rents & Arrears 1824

    by  • 6 March 2011 •  • 0 Comments

    A list of tenants in the villages and settlements around Loch Roag, with their rents and arrears in 1824; from the Seaforth Muniments (estate papers). Township Tenant Rent Arrears Carishader Murdoch Macaulay £ 5.12.6 £ 21.1.8½   Malcolm Macdonald £ 5.12.6 £ 16.12.11   Angus Martin £ 5.12.6 £ 13.1.3   Donald Matheson £ 5.12.6 [...]

    Read more →

    Ungeshader & Enaclete Tenants 1867

    by  • 19 September 2010 •  • 0 Comments

    List of tenants at Ungeshader and Enaclete from Estate papers, 1867. No. Tenant Rent   UNGESHADER   1 Malcolm Morrison £ 5.14.6 2 Wd Mary Smith £ 4.4.6 3 Peter Maclean £ 4.16.0   ENACLETE   1 Donald Macdonald £ 4.7.0 2 Murdo Macdonald £ 4.7.0 3 John Macleod £ 4.7.0 4 Donald Macritchie (John) [...]

    Read more →

    Hens of 1908

    by  • 23 July 2011 • Crofting, Featured Notes, Health & Food • 0 Comments

    eggs cycle

    The Congested Districts Board took an interest in poultry farming in the crofting parishes and in 1908 a Commission proceeded around Scotland taking evidence from many involved in the trade. On 22 July of that year they were in Uig, interviewing Mr & Mrs Duncan Maclean of Gisla Farm.

    Read more →

    Enaclete | Einacleit

    by  • 22 July 2010 •  • 0 Comments

    A village on the western shores of Little Loch Roag, comprising nine crofts. An abundance of small stone piers and landing stages on the shore indicate the importance of fishing and boat transport to and from the village. A sub-postoffice operated at 6 Enaclete. The village was never a large farm and was not cleared [...]

    Read more →

    Fishing Boats in Uig

    by  • 11 March 2010 • Fishing, History, Transport • 0 Comments

    [singlepic=637,,386] Many thanks to Donald J Macleod of Enaclete and Bridge of Don for his research into the fishing boats of Uig. He adds that these boats used lines and not trawls to catch white fish. It was the end of March and beginning of April that was known as the ‘Hungry month’ in Gaelic [...]

    Read more →

    Hogmanay in the Capital, 1943

    by  • 1 January 2010 • Entertainments, WWII • 1 Comment

    The pressmen get their snaps – Lewisfolk provide a little colour Stornoway Gazette, 21 Jan 1944 American press photographers visited the vicinity of St Pauls on Hogmanay to pick up a few colourful pictures of New Year celebrations in London. A group of Lewisfolk gave them their best ‘shots’ of the evening when Pipers Findlater [...]

    Read more →

    Lochcroistean School, c1928

    by  • 4 November 2009 • Archive photos, Education • 3 Comments

    [singlepic=946,373] Lochcroistean School, c1928. Teachers Annie Macaulay 35 Cliff and Donald Macarthur, Carloway. Back Row:1. Angus Hugh Smith, 2 Carishader 2. Angus John Macdonald, 6 Carishader 3. Donald Macritchie, 4 Enaclete 4. Donald John Mackay, 6 Geshader 5. Malcolm John Smith, 2 Ungeshader 6. Donald Smith, 2 Ungeshader 7. Donald Gillies, 9 Carishader 8. John [...]

    Read more →

    Placenames: Enaclete and Gisla

    by  • 21 August 2009 • Placenames • 5 Comments

    Enaclete names

    Place names in Enaclete and the surrounding area, mapped by Finlay and Kenny Maciver.  They did Geshader too and you may like to compare the Ordnance Survey map. 1. Airigh Dhubh 23. Caol Loch 2. Loch Croistean 24. Druim Mor 3. Loch a’ Phealair Beag 25. Loch nan Learg a Tuath 4. Old Sheilings 26. [...]

    Read more →

    Lochcroistean Reunion

    by  • 3 June 2009 • Education, News & Events • 0 Comments

    Marianne hosted a lovely evening for about forty past pupils of Lochcroistean school, and their spouses, on the 130th anniversary of the opening of the school. [slideshow=35] If the slideshow isn’t working for you, the pictures are also in the Gallery. Share

    Read more →

    The Uig POs and their Postmarks

    by  • 15 May 2009 • History, Life in Uig • 0 Comments

    From Islands Postal History Series, No 3: Lewis, by James A Mackay.  Published by the author, 1978. Miavaig The Gaelic name Miabhaig is derived from an earlier Norse name whose vik ending signified a bay – in this case one of the many inlets of West Loch Roag on the west coast of Lewis. A [...]

    Read more →

    Ciorstaidh Mhòr

    by  • 5 May 2009 • Archive photos, Gàidhlig, People

    [singlepic=620,390] Ciorstaidh Mhòr, Christina Matheson, was born in 1861 in Enaclete, a daughter of William Ruadh and a sister of William Dearg.  Her father came with his family to Geshader in the late 19th century and built this house at 2 Geshader, on the hillside overlooking the loch on the right as you drive into [...]

    Read more →

    Lochcroistean School 1929-30

    by  • 12 February 2009 • Archive photos, Education • 2 Comments

    [singlepic=454,380] Teachers Donald Macarthur (Soup) and Annie Macaulay 35 Cliff (Anna Bheag) Back Row 1. Peter Macleod 9 Enaclete 2. Farquhar Macdonald 12 Carishader 3. Angus Hugh Smith 2 Carishader 4. Donald Macritchie 4 Enaclete 5. Calum Iain Smith 2B Ungeshader 6. Donald Gilleis 9 Carishader 7. John Murdo Mackay 1 Carishader 8. John MAcdonald [...]

    Read more →

    Schools in Uig before the Education Act

    by  • 7 February 2009 • Education • 8 Comments

    From Sanais, 1988, with some additions.

    The first school in the Western Isles was founded shortly after 1610, when the Seaforth Mackenzies gained possession of the island, and in 1680, a report by ‘Indweller’ says that the Seaforth school had done much good, not only for Lewis but also for the adjacent isles. Other schools followed.

    Read more →