• Posts Tagged ‘valtos’

    Donald Càm’s Early Career

    by  • 22 August 2008 • History, Tales & Traditions • 0 Comments

    From Rev William Matheson’s History of the Macaulays: The tradition among some of his descendants today is that Dòmhnall Càm was the least formidable of his father’s sons in point of physical strength.  It is related, for example, that, when at archery practice near his home above one end of Traigh na Clibhe, he was […]

    Read more →

    A h-Uile Latha Chì’s Nach Fhaic

    by  • 16 August 2008 • Gàidhlig • 0 Comments

    Memories of the shieling and the village he left behind – written by Donald Maclennan, Dòmhnall Mhurchaidh Dhòmhnaill a Sguthair, 24 Valtos, who emigrated to America. A h-uile latha chì ‘s nach fhaic ‘S a h-uile latha chì sinn Deoch-slàinte mo chaileag nì mi òl A h-uile latha chì sinn Ag cuallach bhò air cùl […]

    Read more →

    Uig Deforcers Refusing to Appear, 1885

    by  • 15 August 2008 • History, Land Issues • 0 Comments

    From the Scottish Highlander, 25 Sept 1885: The Uig Deforcers Refusing to Appear Before Sheriff Black.– Ten fishermen from Valtos, Uig, and Lewis were cited to appear on Tuesday before Sheriff-Substitute Black on the charges of assault and breach of the public peace, by attacking and assaulting John Fraser, sheriff-officer, Stornoway, and his concurrents, on […]

    Read more →

    The Lady Missionary

    by  • 13 August 2008 • History • 0 Comments

    Stornoway Gazette, Friday February 27th, 1920 VALTOS PRESENTATION – Miss Macdonald who served 11 years in Valtos Uig, as lady missionary, had some time ago to leave for her home in Applecross on account of indifferent health. Her many friends in West Uig will miss her informative and interesting companionship very much, and especially the […]

    Read more →

    Letter from Reef, 1920

    by  • 11 August 2008 • History, Land Issues • 0 Comments

    After the Reef Raiders were tried, briefly imprisoned and let home to a hero’s welcome in 1914, the Great War intervened before anything was done about the lotting of Reef. Even after the end of the war, it appeared that nothing was going to happen. The following is from the men of Kneep and Valtos, most […]

    Read more →

    The Reef Raiders

    by  • 9 August 2008 • History, Land Issues • 0 Comments

    Some of the Reef Raiders:  Alexander Mackay, Valtos (Alasdair Dhomhnaill Aonghais) Allan Morrison 3 Kneep (Ailean Tharmoid Tharmoid Ruaidh) Malcolm Macritchie Kneep (an Irish) Murdo Mackay 30 Valtos (Murchadh Aonghais Aonghais) Angus Mackay 18 Valtos (Aonghas Tharmoid Aonghais) John Morrison 13 Kneep (Iain Tharmoid Tharmoid Ruaidh, or an Cupair) Donald Maclennan Reithmir (Domhnall Ruadh, the […]

    Read more →

    Valtos, Kneep and Reef Grazings, 1959

    by  • 6 August 2008 • History, Land Issues • 0 Comments

    Click to show shieling grounds.  Map and area in acres from Uig, a Hebridean Parish (1960). Valtos (36 tenants) 149 inbye 1482 adjacent pastures 3905 detached/shielings Kneep (18 tenants) 155 inbye 459 adjacent 1806 detached/shielings Reef (14 tenants) 94 inbye 207 adjacent 101 machair 770 detached Total (68 tenants, 14 absent) 398 inbye 2249 adjacent/machair 6481 […]

    Read more →

    The Lewis Colony in Duluth, Minnesota

    by  • 5 August 2008 • Emigration, History • 13 Comments

    A large number of Lewismen settled in Duluth, Minnesota in the 1870s and 1880s, many becoming prominent citizens in the town. The first was William L Maclennan (1834-1888), son of Donald Maclennan. This family seems to have originated in Kintail or Lochalsh; in 1841 Donald was a shepherd in Bunavoneadar, Harris, and soon thereafter became […]

    Read more →

    Origins of the Smiths

    by  • 3 August 2008 • Genealogy, History, Tales & Traditions • 0 Comments

    From Rev William Matheson (Mac Gille Chaluim), Families of Lewis (1959) in the Stornoway Gazette.  Rev Matheson begins by explaining how he reckons the Smiths of Earshader (from whom are descended the Smiths of Strome, Valtos, Laxay and Keose) were Morrisons sometimes known as Mackinnons, before they acquired the surname Smith in English.   He continues: If we […]

    Read more →

    Recruitment in 1793

    by  • 30 July 2008 • History, Old Soldiers • 0 Comments

    From a manuscript by (as far as I can make out) Rev Col AJ Mackenzie, son of Roderick Mackenzie, gamekeeper at Luachair and Uig Lodge.  According to tradition, men were compelled to join the army when Seaforth was raising the 78th Seaforth Highlanders in 1793.  When he arrived in Lewis, the men of Uig took […]

    Read more →

    How the Doctor Got Around in 1912

    by  • 29 July 2008 • History • 0 Comments

    Extracts from the Evidence presented to the Dewar Commission in 1912, regarding medical service in the Highlands and Islands.  Among the people interviewed was Dr Victor Alexander Ross, doctor at Garynahine who served Uig from 1900.  The commission was chaired by Sir John Dewar MP (he of Dewar’s whisky) and included Charles Orrock, Chamberlain of the […]

    Read more →

    The Marquis of Stafford in Loch Roag

    by  • 28 July 2008 • Emigration, History • 0 Comments

    At the end of April 1851, following his tour of the island to assess the number of tenants who were to be helped to emigrate to Canada,  the Chamberlain John Munro Mackenzie travelled to Glasgow, in the company of Sir James Matheson and his wife who were proceeding to London, to make the arrangements.  Mackenzie had considerable difficulty finding […]

    Read more →

    Valtos School 1952

    by  • 27 July 2008 • Archive photos • 3 Comments

    Teachers Donald Maclean Shawbost and Annie Macaulay 35 Cliff Back: 1. Donald N Morrison 32 Valtos 2. Norrie Mackay 31 Valtos 3. Dol Angus Mackay 30 Valtos 4. Calum Iain Buchanan 8 Valtos 5. John Angus Mackay 7 Reef 6. Donald M Morrison 32 Valtos 7. John Angus Buchanan 7 Valtos Middle: 8. Donald Buchanan […]

    Read more →

    Women of Uig Victorious

    by  • 27 July 2008 • History • 0 Comments

    From the Scottish Highlander, 4 September 1885. The main island in question was Pabbay and the tacksman who claimed it was James Mackenzie, Linshader. This was one of several instances of revolt in Uig in the 1880; see also the 1884 episode: The Women of Uig Victorious in a Sea Fight. Nearly the whole male […]

    Read more →

    Rental Paid in 1725

    by  • 27 July 2008 • History, Land Issues • 0 Comments

    Having been on the losing side in the Jacobite rising of 1715, the Seaforths had to forfeit their lands to the Crown. These were then administered by a body of Commissioners for a number of years (though the Seaforths were eventually allowed to buy them back, because no other buyer could be found.) It appears […]

    Read more →

    Coming from the Valtos Shieling

    by  • 26 July 2008 • Archive photos • 5 Comments

    Valtos men at Gisla, returning from the shielings (both Airigh an Fhorsa NB117226 and Airigh Bo Nighean Mhuirich NB 105224 – thanks Calum) with creels of butter, crowdie and cheese.  Murdo Smith 30 Valtos (Murchadh Gobha), Calum Buchanan 7 Valtos (Calum a’Bhodaich), Donald Mackay 15 Valtos (Dòmhnall a’Chreagain) and Norman Buchanan 8 Valtos (Tarmod Sham) in […]

    Read more →

    Finds in 1915

    by  • 26 July 2008 • Archaeology, History, Vikings • 0 Comments

    A letter to the Gazette on 15 October 1917, by “DJM”, Donald J Macleod, Inspector of Schools (not DJ Maciver as previously indicated.) ‘Neiseach’ [from a previous correspondence] maintains there are no pre-Norse Celtic remains in our island. That is not so, I may be able, in a limited way to illustrate at first hand. […]

    Read more →