• Posts Tagged ‘carloway’


    by  • 25 June 2009 • Crofting, History, Life in Uig, Mills • 1 Comment

    From Lewsiana, by W Anderson Smith (1874, 1896). During the autumn and winter the grain is prepared at leisure as potatoes are first consumed, or nearly so, before the meal is much run upon. When in urgent need of meal, the grain is sometimes dried in an iron pot on the fire, and then taken […]

    Read more →

    BBC Alba: A Reir na h-Aimsir

    by  • 5 April 2009 • Gàidhlig, Video • 4 Comments

    The BBC Alba series A Reir na h-Aimsir, which looks at how weather affects us, was this week in Lewis, looking at how traditional blackhouse architecture has been adapted for a new house in Brenish, amongst other things.  There’s a trio of well-known Uig bodachs on local weather lore at about the 22-minute mark. To […]

    Read more →

    By Open Sea from Kinlochresort

    by  • 7 October 2008 • Fishing, History • 3 Comments

    An further extract from the unpublished memoirs of Rev Col AJ Mackenzie, born Kinlochresort in 1887.  Here he tells of how the family came to be at Kinlochresort, and also how they left it for the gamekeeper’s house at Uig Lodge.  His account of the pleasures of Traigh Uig is here. My father was a […]

    Read more →

    More Prizes at the Crofters’ Show

    by  • 21 September 2008 • Entertainments, History, Life in Uig • 0 Comments

    From the Highland News, 30 August 1913; we’ve already had the fundraising concert and the domestic prizes: The West Uig and Bernera Crofters’ Show was held at Lochcroistean School on Wednesday the 20th August, under most favourable auspices, the day being sunny and warm and in every way pleasant for the great concourse of people […]

    Read more →

    The Departure of the Barlow, 1851

    by  • 2 September 2008 • Emigration, History, Land Issues • 2 Comments

    In 1851 several shiploads of emigrants left Lewis for Canada.  The arrival and departure of the Barlow was delayed for a month, causing desperation amongst the prospective emigrants, but she eventually sailed at the end of June from Loch Roag.  The following is from the Diary of John Munro Mackenzie, Chamberlain of the Lews. Wednesday […]

    Read more →

    Waiting for the Barlow

    by  • 29 August 2008 • Emigration, History, Land Issues • 0 Comments

    The Barlow sailed from Lewis in 1851 with 287 emigrants on board, one of several emigrant ships that year.  Like the Marquis of Stafford it carried people who had been removed from their land and offered paid passage to Canada by the proprietor, but unlike the Marquis, which sailed in May, the Barlow was delayed and in […]

    Read more →

    The Macleods of Pabbay and a Mealista Connection

    by  • 7 August 2008 • Genealogy • 1 Comment

    From Gerard Lemmens, who, with his wife, Gillian Lesley Lemmens nee Macleod (great grand daughter of Rev George Macleod of Garrabost), is writing a book about her aunt, entitled “Anna Macleod – from Daughter of the Manse to Professor of Brewing”. Gerard is interested in the genealogy of the Macleods of Pabbay (see also his […]

    Read more →

    How the Doctor Got Around in 1912

    by  • 29 July 2008 • History • 0 Comments

    Extracts from the Evidence presented to the Dewar Commission in 1912, regarding medical service in the Highlands and Islands.  Among the people interviewed was Dr Victor Alexander Ross, doctor at Garynahine who served Uig from 1900.  The commission was chaired by Sir John Dewar MP (he of Dewar’s whisky) and included Charles Orrock, Chamberlain of the […]

    Read more →

    The Marquis of Stafford in Loch Roag

    by  • 28 July 2008 • Emigration, History • 0 Comments

    At the end of April 1851, following his tour of the island to assess the number of tenants who were to be helped to emigrate to Canada,  the Chamberlain John Munro Mackenzie travelled to Glasgow, in the company of Sir James Matheson and his wife who were proceeding to London, to make the arrangements.  Mackenzie had considerable difficulty finding […]

    Read more →


    by  • 19 July 2008 • History • 4 Comments

    Rev DA Macrae was born in Miavaig and lived latterly in Harris. He was interviewed by Maggie Smith in November 2004, and died in July 2005. Our home Miavaig House was built in 1855 for my grandfather James Macrae, who was the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages and was also an Inspector of the Poor. […]

    Read more →

    Nicolsons in Uig

    by  • 9 July 2008 • Genealogy, History • 1 Comment

    Willie Matheson (Mac Gille Chaluim) wrote in his Families of Lewis series that Nicolson was “perhaps the oldest surname in Lewis” and that the Macleods came into possession of the island by marriage into the family.  The name disappears and does not surface again until the 18th century, when Angus Nicolson is on record as a joint-tacksman […]

    Read more →

    Dòmhnall Càm at Dun Carloway

    by  • 7 July 2008 • History, Tales & Traditions • 0 Comments

    A tale from Donald Macdonald’s Tales and Traditions of the Lews: Dòmhnall Càm and the big smith went one summer to the Flannan Isles, and the Morrisons of Ness, hearing the Macaulays were from home, came and drove the cows from the moor, for they met with no opposition.  When Dòmhnall and his party returned the womenfolk […]

    Read more →