• Life in Uig

    The Old Lewis House: A View from 1902

    by  • 17 February 2012 • Health & Food, Life in Uig • 2 Comments

    Breanish

    The Report on the Social Conditions of the People of Lewis (1902) by the Crofters Commission gives a detailed account of the traditional Lewis blackhouse, which agitated the minds of reformers from Sir James Matheson onward, and the measures taken from about 1880 to improve it, particularly with regard to sanitation.

    Read more →

    Before the Dingwall Sheriff

    by  • 14 March 2011 • Life in Uig, Military & Police • 0 Comments

    George Gillies, residing at Grista [Erista], and John Maclean, residing at Fimisgarry [Timsgarry], in the parish of Uig and Island of Lewis, accused of having broken into the parish church of Uig, and stolen therefrom a waterproof coat, some carpenters’ tools, and a pane of glass, pleaded not guilty.

    Read more →

    Peats of Fire Lighting the Way

    by  • 8 March 2011 • Church, Education, Life in Uig • 0 Comments

    The Rev Angus Maciver was the son of Angus Maciver “An Ceistear” (the Catechist), born at Reef in 1799. The family lived at Tobson on Great Bernera from 1835 to 1853. This extract from The Life of a Lewis Catechist, published in the Stornoway Gazette in 1971-2, is Rev Maciver’s memory of meeting-house nights.

    Read more →

    Stores for the FP Manse, 1939

    by  • 1 February 2011 • Health & Food, Life in Uig, WWII • 0 Comments

    receipt from Cyril Goodge (petrol and provisions at Miavaig) for the Free Presbyterian Manse, date 13 September 1939 – the day after the induction of Rev John Angus Macdonald as FP minister in Uig, so presumably he is setting out his kitchen. It’s also just a few days after the start of the war. Rationing began in January 1940.

    Read more →

    Gamekeeper finds missing airman, 1959

    by  • 6 June 2010 • Life in Uig • 0 Comments

    From the Stornoway Gazette, 7 July 1959: The Commanding Officer of the R.A.F. station at Aird Uig has expressed gratitude to gamekeeper Donald Morrison of Mangersta, who on Tuesday found an airman who had been missing from the station. The man was Senior Aircraftsman Thomas Douglas, who was on Wednesday reported to be “quite alright” [...]

    Read more →

    Wedding Telegrams of the 1960s

    by  • 14 May 2010 • Archive photos, Life in Uig • 0 Comments

    [singlepic=1121,797] Our wedding collection is growing slowly but surely, and new in today are 1960s wedding telegrams and some lovely photos. Most will be on display in the tearoom within a week or two but meanwhile… Mrs and Mrs Kenny Maclennan, 15 Kneep (Coinneach a’ Loin and Agnes Smith, Lochcroistean – above) were married 22 [...]

    Read more →

    Sandy and Mary, 1959

    by  • 6 May 2010 • Archive photos, Life in Uig, People • 0 Comments

    [singlepic=1119,827] From the Stornoway Gazette supplement, 18 December 1959. Wedding bells have been ringing in Mangersta for the past year. Cupid started at one end of the village leaving a spate of marriages in his trail. The most recent of these was solemnised in the East Church, Inverness, on the 10th November when Mary Morrison, [...]

    Read more →

    Some Faces in Winter

    by  • 19 March 2010 • Life in Uig • 0 Comments

    [singlepic=1084] CE Uig hosted a photographer earlier this month, Gawaine Meechan, who was taking photos of as many as would stand still.  Warm thanks to Gawaine for his hard work, and to all who sat for him; there are more than these, and he will be back in the early summer. The photos will add [...]

    Read more →

    Life under St Kilda

    by  • 5 March 2010 • Life in Uig • 0 Comments

    There is a set of spectacular photos of the marine world under St Kilda, over on the new Ionad Hiort website. Many thanks to the photographer Paul Kay.  Click on the fish to see more. St Kilda has been inscribed as a World Heritage Site under both natural and cultural criteria; in 2004 the WHS [...]

    Read more →

    Holidaying in Uig, 1926

    by  • 20 January 2010 • Archive photos, Life in Uig • 0 Comments

    [singlepic=1068,475,left] These new-to-us pictures come from the albums of the late Roberta Maclennan, whose brother Duncan was the doctor in Uig during WW2 – though the pictures date from 1926, and were taken in Glen Valtos, before the quarrying started there.  Many thanks to John J Maclennan for providing them, and others. [singlepic=1069,336] Share

    Read more →