• Posts Tagged ‘miavaig’

    Congested Bulls

    by  • 20 January 2012 • Crofting, History, Land Issues • 0 Comments

    The Valtos Bull

    One of the popular schemes of the Congested Districts Board (1898-1912) was the provision of bulls, rams and stallions, on loan, to crofting parishes where the stock was in need of improvement. Uig did particularly well on the bulls, it seems.

    Read more →

    The Congested Districts Board 1898-1912

    by  • 12 January 2012 •  • 0 Comments

    The Congested Districts Board was established by the Congested Districts (Scotland) Act of 1897, on the model of the Congested Districts Board for Ireland, to improve industries and infrastructure in the crofting counties which suffering from overpopulation and poverty (see Powers below). Initially 56 parishes or parts of parishes in the north, west and islands [...]

    Read more →

    Stores for the FP Manse, 1939

    by  • 1 February 2011 • Health & Food, Life in Uig, WWII • 0 Comments

    receipt from Cyril Goodge (petrol and provisions at Miavaig) for the Free Presbyterian Manse, date 13 September 1939 – the day after the induction of Rev John Angus Macdonald as FP minister in Uig, so presumably he is setting out his kitchen. It’s also just a few days after the start of the war. Rationing began in January 1940.

    Read more →

    Dr Duncan Maclennan

    by  • 19 February 2010 • Health & Food, People

    [singlepic=1077,280,left]Dr Duncan Maclennan served as the doctor in West Uig from 1935 to 1945. A native of Stornoway, he studied at Aberdeen and Uig was his first post. He was greatly liked throughout the district, as this piece from the Stornoway Gazette on the occasion of his leaving demonstrates: 20 July 1945 On Tuesday, 3rd July, in Crowlista [...]

    Read more →

    December

    by  • 30 December 2009 • Life in Uig • 0 Comments

    [singlepic=1048,389] Miavaig; taken 29 December 2009, 9am. The bay at Miavaig is frozen, as are all the smaller sealochs, including Little Loch Roag, which doesn’t happen often. There is a story of crossing Little Loch Roag on foot, however. James Macnaughton, born 1804 and the son of a shepherd at Cleit a Thog (near Scaliscro), [...]

    Read more →

    An Iolaire Survivor

    by  • 8 November 2009 • Military & Police, WWI • 1 Comment

    [singlepic=969,382] Translated from an interview with An Geal, John Maclennan, born 1896 at 15 Kneep and married at 4 Aird, Uig. The Admiralty ship the Iolaire taking servicemen home to Lewis grounded on the Beasts of Holm outside Stornoway, on the 1st of January 1919. More than two hundred men perished. Translated by Maggie Smith. [...]

    Read more →

    Miavaig | Miabhaig

    by  • 22 July 2010 •  • 0 Comments

    The name Miavaig is from the norse mjo vagr for ‘narrow bay’, which accurately describes it. It is located at the head of Valtos Glen and at the short causeway to the Valtos peninsula. The village was during the last century a hub for Uig, consisting of the pier to which supplies were brought, with [...]

    Read more →

    The New FP Church

    by  • 7 August 2009 • Church • 0 Comments

    From the Stornoway Gazette, May 1951. An event of outstanding interest took place in the Parish of Uig on Wednesday, 16th May, when the new Free Presbyterian Church at Miavaig was opened. The Ref JA Macdonald, Applecross, the former minister of Uig, conducted divine worship and preached an able discourse from Matt xxi, v13. The [...]

    Read more →

    Valtos School, 1948

    by  • 22 June 2009 • Archive photos, Education, History • 0 Comments

    [singlepic=665,357] Teacher: Sophie Macsween (Macleod). Thanks to Mary Peggy Mackay for putting the names to the faces. Back 1. John Angus Mackay 7 Reef 2. Dan Buchanan 7 Valtos 3. DA Morrison 13 Reef 4. Calum Ian Buchanan 8 Valtos 5. Archie Macdonald, FP Manse Middle 6. John Andrew Buchanan 7 Valtos 7. Donald C [...]

    Read more →

    Valtos School 1966-67

    by  • 21 May 2009 • Archive photos, Education • 1 Comment

    [singlepic=633,357] Photo taken by Aneas Maclean, nephew of Mrs Jessie Macdonald 24 Valtos, while on student placement.  We’ll expect the gaps to be filled in promptly: if not, I’ll be waylaying the others. Teachers: Mrs Alexina Macleod, Shawbost Mr Donald John Macleod (Inky), Carloway Front Row: 1. Calum Macdonald (Titch) 22 Valtos 2. Donella Matheson [...]

    Read more →

    The Uig POs and their Postmarks

    by  • 15 May 2009 • History, Life in Uig • 0 Comments

    From Islands Postal History Series, No 3: Lewis, by James A Mackay.  Published by the author, 1978. Miavaig The Gaelic name Miabhaig is derived from an earlier Norse name whose vik ending signified a bay – in this case one of the many inlets of West Loch Roag on the west coast of Lewis. A [...]

    Read more →

    Grievances Told to the Napier Commission

    by  • 17 September 2008 • Crofting, History, Land Issues • 1 Comment

    The Napier Commission came to Miavaig on 4 June 1883, led by Lord Napier, and took evidence from Murdo Maclean, fishcurer in Valtos, Donald Matheson Kneep and Norman Morrison Brenish, and from the Chamberlain, William Mackay. Among the grievances enumerated by the crofters were issues to do with the keeper and shooting tenants in the [...]

    Read more →

    The Lewis Colony in Duluth, Minnesota

    by  • 5 August 2008 • Emigration, History • 13 Comments

    A large number of Lewismen settled in Duluth, Minnesota in the 1870s and 1880s, many becoming prominent citizens in the town. The first was William L Maclennan (1834-1888), son of Donald Maclennan. This family seems to have originated in Kintail or Lochalsh; in 1841 Donald was a shepherd in Bunavoneadar, Harris, and soon thereafter became [...]

    Read more →

    Miavaig, Carishader and the Bays in 1959

    by  • 1 August 2008 • History • 0 Comments

    A chapter (abridged) by Annis Heawood from Uig:  A Hebridean Parish (1960).  Photo by Chris Murray. The district here described includes Gisla, near the head of Little Loch Roag, Enaclete, Ungeshader and Geshader, on the western shores of Loch Roag proper. All these are strung out on or close to the main road. Miavaig, like Gisla, [...]

    Read more →

    Intolerable Postal Facilities, 1920

    by  • 22 July 2008 • History, Transport • 0 Comments

    Stornoway Gazette Friday, 16 January 1920 WEST UIG MAIL SERVICE At a meeting held in Crowlista Public School, Miavaig, Lewis, on Tuesday, 30th December 1919 presided over by Col. Lindsay, Morsgail Lodge,Lord Leverhulme’s representative here, and attended by representatives from all the townships of West Uig, it was resolved to lay before the Postmaster General, [...]

    Read more →