• Posts Tagged ‘stornoway’

    A Letter from Dolly Doctor

    by  • 28 January 2012 • Artefacts, History • 0 Comments

    A Letter from Dolly Doctor

    A short letter from Dolly Doctor to another great Uig historian, Murdo Macleod (Murchadh Chaluim Sheoras, Crowlista and Glasgow), about the old Stornoway Castle and DD’s activities with the Old Folks Association and his Folk Museum.

    Read more →

    A Late Hogmanay

    by  • 9 January 2012 • Entertainments • 1 Comment

    This recent Hogmanay fell on a Sunday, so the fireworks in Stornoway finished at 11pm on New Year’s Eve, and most celebrations were delayed to the Monday. Forty years ago, the same applied.

    Read more →

    The Island of Lewis in 1857

    by  • 23 December 2011 •  • 0 Comments

    A Description of the Island of Lewis, from Encyclopaedia Britannica, 8th Edition (1857) ¹ Lewis, the northern portion of the Outer Hebrides, lying off the W. coast of Scotland, from which it is separated by the Minch, a sea about 30 miles across. The name Lewis (Celtic², Leodhus) is probably derived from Leod or Leodus, son [...]

    Read more →

    An Iolaire Survivor

    by  • 8 November 2009 • Military & Police, WWI • 1 Comment

    [singlepic=969,382] Translated from an interview with An Geal, John Maclennan, born 1896 at 15 Kneep and married at 4 Aird, Uig. The Admiralty ship the Iolaire taking servicemen home to Lewis grounded on the Beasts of Holm outside Stornoway, on the 1st of January 1919. More than two hundred men perished. Translated by Maggie Smith. [...]

    Read more →

    Scramble for Rural Houses (1949)

    by  • 28 June 2009 • History, Land Issues • 0 Comments

    “The wanderlust of the Uigeach”, from the Stornoway Gazette, 30 December 1949. Swedish timber houses allocated to West Uig are not to be built there. Owing to the depopulation of the district there is very little chance of finding tenants. When this news was given to the Lewis District Council by the chairman, Councillor John [...]

    Read more →

    The Long Road to Stornoway (1893)

    by  • 12 June 2009 • History, Life in Uig • 1 Comment

    To mark the expectation that our new Enaclete bypass will opening soon (surely), here’s a further extract from the unpublished memoirs of Rev Col AJ Mackenzie, who was born at Kinresort in 1887, son of the gamekeeper Roderick Mackenzie.  The family moved in to the gamekeeper’s house at Uig Lodge in 1891, and a few [...]

    Read more →

    Enterprise of Four Uigeachs

    by  • 29 March 2009 • Fishing, Life in Uig • 1 Comment

    Stornoway Gazette, 30 December 1949. It is many years since there was a fishing boat of any size in Uig but four Uigeachs arrived in Stornoway on Tuesday of last week with a 45-foot motor-boat which they have purchased in Inverness. The boat will take her new name from the initials of the four owners [...]

    Read more →

    Waiting for the Barlow

    by  • 29 August 2008 • Emigration, History, Land Issues • 0 Comments

    The Barlow sailed from Lewis in 1851 with 287 emigrants on board, one of several emigrant ships that year.  Like the Marquis of Stafford it carried people who had been removed from their land and offered paid passage to Canada by the proprietor, but unlike the Marquis, which sailed in May, the Barlow was delayed and in [...]

    Read more →

    After Uig: Letter from Rev Macleod to Lady Hood, 1844

    by  • 14 August 2008 • Church, History • 0 Comments

    A letter from the Rev Alexander Macleod (formerly Established Church minister in Uig, who had taken his congregation to the Free Church in 1843 and left Uig shortly thereafter for Lochalsh) to Lady Hood, his previous patron.  See also a letter from 1824. Lochalsh 19th March 1844 My very dear and much respected friend, I had [...]

    Read more →

    Macpherson the Wheelwright

    by  • 13 August 2008 • Tales & Traditions • 0 Comments

    Photo by rojabro. This isn’t strictly an Uig tale, though one episode takes place on the Flannans, and there is a suggestion that Macpherson may be the grandfather of Kenneth Macpherson the catechist from Bayhead, who married Ann Smith from Strome and Valtos and lived in Ness.   It’s offered in the hope that someone may be [...]

    Read more →

    Peigi an Irish and Morgan

    by  • 5 August 2008 • Archive photos, Crofting • 0 Comments

    Peigi an Irish (nee Macritchie, b1890) from 8 Kneep was married twice; her first husband Murdo Mackay was killed in the Great War, and her second was Donald Matheson (Buckie) from 4 Valtos.  She was the tenant of 5 Reef, after her father.  Murdo Macdonald (Morgan, b1866) was born to 4 Kneep and took 15 Reef. Note [...]

    Read more →

    Rev Maclennan’s Speech on TB Day

    by  • 21 July 2008 • History • 0 Comments

    Pic: some of the worthies of Uig and Stornoway at the ceremony. TB Macaulay, president of the Sun Life Assurance Company of Montreal and descendent of the Macaulays of Uig, visited Lewis in the summer of 1929 to open the new Municipal Buildings in Stornoway (replacing those destroyed in the fire of 1918) and to [...]

    Read more →

    Uig Transport in the 1930s-40s

    by  • 20 July 2008 • History • 0 Comments

    To go with the picture of Sgail and his crowd of excursionists, part of an article from the Uig News: In the 1930s there were four cars in Uig. The two ministers both had cars – one was a Vauxhall. The Doctor had a car and so did Norman Mackay, the Public Assistance Officer – he [...]

    Read more →

    Nicolsons in Uig

    by  • 9 July 2008 • Genealogy, History • 1 Comment

    Willie Matheson (Mac Gille Chaluim) wrote in his Families of Lewis series that Nicolson was “perhaps the oldest surname in Lewis” and that the Macleods came into possession of the island by marriage into the family.  The name disappears and does not surface again until the 18th century, when Angus Nicolson is on record as a joint-tacksman [...]

    Read more →