1745 - Cur às do na Cinneadhean Gàidhealach (an dèidh 1745) – Dismantling Clan Structures (post 1745)
Eleven tacksmen (lesser clan members) held South West Uig up to the late 18th century. From that period, the proprietor, Seaforth, began to introduce changes in the traditional tenurial system designed to put the estate on a more commercial footing. The tacksmen class was eliminated at this stage.
Villages were cleared to make way for large sheep farms that accrued greater rental income for the estate; run-rig was gradually dismantled in the remaining villages and the land let, at increased rents, as individual holdings. This reduced people’s access to arable land and involvement in non-agricultural activity became more of a necessity.