1835 - Cidhe Chàrnais air a Thogail – Pier Built at Carnish
Mr Stewart Mackenzie of Seaforth, whose revenue from kelp was sadly depleted, determined that a sufficient number of safe landing places should be built to exploit the cod and ling fishing.
Carnish was surveyed in 1828, a plan was prepared and funding was to be provided, two thirds by the Fishery Society and the rest by the estate.
The pier was only partially built and then abandoned. There was enough structure to provide for small boats but never the safe anchorage for larger boats in Camus Uig as planned.