1857 - Dh’fhosgail Oifis a’ Phuist am Miabhag – Miavaig Post Office Opened
A foot post from Stornoway to Miavaig was instituted, and eventually upgraded to a horse post and then a mail car service providing a thrice-weekly collection and delivery of mail.
Miavaig was second only to Stornoway itself in the importance of its post office which had savings bank, money order and telegraph departments.
Miavaig had more postmarks than any other Lewis office except Stornoway. A sub-postmaster was appointed at an annual salary of £3.
Photo © Gwen Hoskins
Miavaig Post Office