1900 - Cidhe Bhaltois air a Thogail – Valtos Quay
As early as 1828, Valtos was surveyed and the cost of a pier was estimated at £150. There was already a fishing station and salt cellar but the Seaforth Estate determined that Uig fishermen could always find shelter in Loch Roag.
The quay was built in 1900 following a petition by local fishermen. They stated that there were thirteen ‘first class’ boats and thirty ‘smaller boats’ with 130 persons engaged in fishing on behalf of a local population of 1027. Ten boats had been lost. The quay cost £2000 with local people contributing their share in labour and materials. The tragedy was that it was built too late, as after 1895 the industry declined.