%%wppa%% %%photo=15%% %%size=240%% %%align=right%%
Mangersta (probably “Magnus’s steading”) was cleared at the same time as Mealista, in 1837-38, to make way for sheep. It was resettled but then cleared again in 1872, when the temporary settlers mostly removed to Doune Carloway at their own request, due to the difficulties they were having with blowing salt spray. The farm at Mangersta (created on ground from the cleared crofts) was eventually broken up and resettled in 1911, mainly by cottars from Brenish. In 1921 the old township of Mealista was divided to enlarge the grazings of both Mangersta and Breanish.
The Mangersta crofts lie in a relatively sheltered valley opening southwards to the sea. The total recorded sheep stock in 1959 was 1179, including lambs, with a 70% lambing rate and a ration of 30 per 100 acres; the soum was 10, according to Moisley’s Uig: A Hebridean Parish. At the time Eilean Molach was used for grazing and each crofter was allowed two sheep on it.
Mangersta Rent Roll 1807
Households of Mangersta 1819
Mangersta Rent & Arrears 1824
Mangersta Stock List 1824
Mangersta Births 1824-
Mangersta Marriages 1826-1833
Lotting of Mangersta 1849
Mangersta Households 1849-1872 (from lotting to clearance)
Mangersta Tenants 1867
The genealogy of Mangersta is still in preparation but you may find some of it on Hebridean Connections.
Recent Notes from Mangersta
[get_posts tag=”mangersta” numberposts=5]
…and all the rest of them here.
Photos from Mangersta
Photos from Mangersta are now in the Mangersta Gallery.