Breanish is a large village near the end of the Uig road – since the clearance of Mealista in 1838, it has been the last inhabited village in the district. It was never cleared, and in fact absorbed some of the population of Mealista when that township became a farm. It suffered terribly from overcrowding and was described by a witness to the Napier Commission (1883) as being “like an anthill”. Subsequently the Mealista ground was made available to Brenish crofters for grazing.
Breanish features a substantial collection of fish-curing and -drying houses on the shore (some rebuilt as fanks), as well as a number of nausts and boat sheds.
The boatbuilder, John Macaulay, lived at 19 Breanish, but travelled about the district to build the boat where it was required.
Breanish Tenants 1807
Breanish Education Census 1819
Breanish Rents & Arrears 1824
Stock Ownership in Breanish 1824
Breanish Births 1824-43
Breanish Marriages 1824-34
Lotting of Breanish 1849-50
Breanish Croft Valuations 1855-60
Breanish Tenants 1867
Breanish Tenants 1891
The genealogy of Breanish is still under development but you may find some on Hebridean Connections.
Recent Notes from Breanish
[get_posts tag=”breanish” numberposts=5]
…and all the rest of them here.
Photos from Breanish
Galleries are being refreshed and expanded (13 Aug 2011) – please come back soon.