• Plans for Kneep and Valtos, 1851

    by  • 22 June 2008 • 0 Comments

    From the Diary of John Munro Mackenzie, Chamberlain of the Lews.  Reef had been cleared of its 186 tenants a few years previously . In the end, Kneep was never cleared, though many did emigrate from both Valtos and Kneep. Wednesday 12 February, 1851 Wrote letters to Stornoway [from Callanish], afterwards proceeded to Reef and [...]

    Read more →

    Diary 1851

    by  • 22 June 2008 • 0 Comments

    John Munro Mackenzie, Chamberlain of the Lews.  Acair 1994.  ISBN 0 86152 908 1/86152 923 5. John Munro Mackenzie (grandson of Hugh Munro, minister at Uig from 1778) was Chamberlain of the Lews, under Sir James Matheson, from 1848 to 1854 and was therefore a key player in several significant events in Lewis, including the relotting [...]

    Read more →

    Population of Uig, 1749, 1755 and 1792

    by  • 22 June 2008 • 0 Comments

    Rev Norman Morrison, second minister at Uig, reported that his parish (incorporating Bernera) consists of 259 families and 1247 souls, of which 1053 were examinable persons.  He mentions that there are not eight who can read the scriptures and there are no schools or catechists. According Dr Webster’s first Scottish census, in 1755 the population of parish [...]

    Read more →

    Cuoch, the Giant of Boranais

    by  • 22 June 2008 • 0 Comments

    A Fenian (and Ossianic) tale, adapted here from WC Mackenzie’s Traditions of the Western Isles. Cuoch (or Cuithich) Mac Nuadharan was a giant who lived at Dun Boranais in the river at the edge of Uig Sands.  He had three giant, broch-dwelling brothers:  Glom, at Ballyglom; Tid, at Tidberry, Kirkibost (both Bernera); and Dearge at Dun [...]

    Read more →

    Wedding of Dr John and Catherine Macdonald

    by  • 22 June 2008 • 12 Comments

    This picture hung unidentified in the museum for some time; thanks to Peter Macdonald, it’s now known to be the wedding of Dr John Macdonald, 5 Crowlista, and his wife Catherine who had Uig and Stornoway connections.  See the comments for detail – and many thanks to Peter for clearing up the mystery.

    Read more →

    Letting Mealista in 1836

    by  • 21 June 2008 • 0 Comments

    A letter dated 1836, from Thomas Knox, Chamberlain of the Lews at Seaforth Lodge to JA Stewart Mackenzie of Seaforth, MP, the Proprietor.  Mealista was cleared in 1838 and the farm let to John Macrae of Kintail (and latterly Harris.) Seaforth Lodge 21 April 1836 Dear Sir I have now the honour to reply to your letter [...]

    Read more →

    The Bequest of the Bell at Baile na Cille, 1829

    by  • 20 June 2008 • 2 Comments

    The church at Baile na Cille was built in 1829 to accommodate the growing congregation of the evangelical minister Rev Alexander Macleod, who had arrived in Uig in 1824.  Church records include the following: Dec 17, 1829 Roderick Nicolson Esq residing in Stornoway most respectably expressed his attachment to his native Parish by making a [...]

    Read more →

    Possible Wheelhouses on Traigh na Berie

    by  • 18 June 2008 • 0 Comments

    Around 8 February 2008, clusters of stones began to emerge from the otherwise unbroken sand in the middle of Traigh na Berie (Reef Beach) on the Valtos peninsula.  Unusual activity on the beach and very low winter tides exposed groups of rocks that had not been seen before.  They are certainly a structure of some sort, [...]

    Read more →

    Uig, a Hebridean Parish, parts I & II

    by  • 17 June 2008 • 0 Comments

    HA Moisley MSc & Members of the Geographical Field Group Glasgow and Nottingham Universities 1960 A very detailed survey of crofting in Uig in 1958-60, with information on the physical geography, historical background (when and how townships were crofted) and the crofting structure, and a close look at the practice in each district, including demographic [...]

    Read more →

    The Sheep Year in Valtos

    by  • 17 June 2008 • 0 Comments

    In years gone by, practically all the sheep belonging to Valtos and Cliff spent the winter on the hill grazings, out as far as the Morsgail boundary, but in those days they were all hardy Blackfaces. Nowadays some people are trying for bigger fatter lambs for the mainland market, and using Texel, Cheviot or Suffolk [...]

    Read more →

    Tales and Traditions of the Lews

    by  • 17 June 2008 • 0 Comments

    Donald Macdonald Birlinn 2004 ISDN 781841580555 Donald Macdonald (1891-1961), “Dolly Doctor”, was a native of Stornoway and Uig who practiced medicine in London but retired to Gisla in Uig. He married Emily Lever, niece of Lord Leverhulme. This miscellany of legends, stories, lists, reports and poetry is a rich collection of material drawn from a variety of [...]

    Read more →

    Cnip Wheelhouse, 1988

    by  • 16 June 2008 • 0 Comments

    Some pictures (thanks Jutta) of the excavation of the Iron-age wheelhouse at Kneep over several years in the late 1980s.  The wheelhouse was completely buried in the dunes at the edge of Kneep beach but was exposed after erosion from winter storms.   The site consisted of two wheelhouses – one never completed – and was occupied ca. 200BC-200AD.  The [...]

    Read more →

    The Shiant Isles with the Islands Book Trust

    by  • 16 June 2008 • 0 Comments

    Photo by ßlϋeωãvε The IBT annual talk on the Shiant Isles, followed (weather permitting) by a boat trip to the islands, in the company of Adam and Tom Nicolson who own the islands and who have spent many years researching the truths and legends. Saturday 21 June, 10.30am Marine Harvest shed, Lemreway, Pairc, Lewis The [...]

    Read more →

    Mary Beith in Uig, and the tòchd

    by  • 15 June 2008 • 0 Comments

    A welcome finish to the AGM was an illustrated talk on “The Lighter Side of Gaelic Medicine” by Mary Beith, an authority on traditional Highland medicine and writer of the Deanamh a’Leighis column in the West Highland Free Press. Strangely it was Mary’s first visit to Uig but she found it a rich source of [...]

    Read more →

    AGM 2008

    by  • 15 June 2008 • 0 Comments

    Comann Eachdraidh Uig AGM was held on 16 May, to recap the events of 2007 and elect a new committee.  We were sorry to lose several long-standing members of the committee (we hope only temporarily) but are pleased to have attracted some new members.  The committee now comprises:  John Maciver, Ardroil (chairman) Sheila Henderson, Valtos (vice-chair) [...]

    Read more →

    The New Website

    by  • 15 June 2008 • 0 Comments

    The CEU website is launched! It’s intended to provide news of the Comann Eachdraidh and of Uig in general, notes of future events (here and throughout the islands) and, inevitably, interesting historical things we’re working on or otherwise find in the archives. Suggestions and contributions most welcome.

    Read more →